Mindset and ISTE Standards

My growth mindset

Even though my mindset is fixed in some aspects of my life, I can recognize that in my job I am trying to develop a growth mindset. According to Dweck (2006) growth mindset is believing we can acquire new abilities by constantly changing, dedicating, persevering and being strategic about what we want to learn. There are five aspects related to having a growth mindset: effort, challenges, role models, obstacles and criticism.  


In my case, I usually get overwhelmed by all the things I must do, and sometimes that brings anxiety, so I have lately thought about realistic goals that make me feel calm and satisfied. I try to see the process for what it is, a constant opportunity to build my big goal. Looking at the process helps me be more aware of my abilities and efforts when I am doing things. I realize the possibilities I have to learn and be updated in my profession and life. Then I can see the changes I have experienced since then. I value who I was because it defines part of me, but I know I will be different in the future. Thus, I have a bunch of possibilities. I always try to see the difficulties and problems as challenges that will lead me to be better and more capable, or at least to be comfortable with them. Furthermore, I know I am not an expert above all in my profession, and with my students, I can learn from others, and I always expect that. I try to receive criticism in the best way possible, without being biased by pride or emotions. For that, I try to communicate in an assertive way. I know that complaints and negative thoughts are not helpful when you work with others. Finally, I believe that what defines your character and philosophy should always be coherence, no matter what you are going through. For me, these are my principles that let me see I am aiming for a growth mindset.

Iste standards for students


These standards are indeed a good guidance for teachers in the implementation of technology in the classroom. They not only represent a clear curriculum purpose but also guide students through understanding new information, analyzing its uses, assessing them and making something significant with them. This infographic is a synthesis of the most crucial standards I think we should promote in classes. Students also need to focus on social and current problems that could engage them more in class. Then they should set realistic goals and decompose big problems into small problems that are easy to solve individually. They ought to be ethical and perseverant in their learning process by selecting trustworthy information and dedicating time to their projects. Finally, they must know how to present their work in an appropriate and appealing way, both globally and virtually, so they can create connections around the world and spread their findings. 

There are more standards that can be explored, for further information. Click here

References 

Dweck, C. S. (2006). Mindset: The new psychology of success. New York: Random House.

 Links

Iste standards for teacher and students: 

https://iste.org/standards/educators

https://iste.org/standards/students



 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario